Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Summary of Croissants

Thanks to all who came to the croissant meeting, even if you didn't bring croissants! We enjoyed everything.

The recipe came from The American Boulangerie, by Pascal Rigo (San Francisco: Bay Books, 2003).

The general feedback on croissants was positive, and most people would make them at home. Overall, the dough seemed very stiff, and the directions for turning the dough were unclear. We also wondered why you would egg wash a product and leave it sitting uncovered for two to three hours. The egg wash usually goes on immediately before baking to avoid a skin forming, or the product is put into a proof box and rebrushed before baking.
The recipe would have benefited from the two following items.
a. better editing
b. simple line drawings or basic photos to illustrate the techniques instead of lengthy paragraphs

However, no one seems completely daunted by laminated doughs. A few people are going to adjust the moisture content to ease the rolling of the turns. Next month, we will be making danish.

6 comments:

  1. I was at the other end of the table, so didn't get inn on the discussion of the egg wash. I to was reluctant to let the rolls sit a few hours with an egg wash on, so I floated plastic wrap on them all. Brushing once early, then rebrushing with the remaining wash made for a crisper crust, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops - forgot to proofread. "didn't get in..." and "I, too, was..."
    Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a recipe picked yet for Danish pastry? I'd like to give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question. I was wondering the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've checked out 4 different versions in Joy of Cooking, King Arthur Baking, How to Bake and Baking with Julia. They are all slightly different. I have no experience with the pastry so don't know which would be best. However, I'd be happy to pick one and scan it to email if anyone wants a practice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see one Sandra. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete